Thonk (1994, Highstreet)

This week's "Manthing" post is from 1994 and it's the first solo album by him that is NOT from the Windham Hill label, but by the Highstreet label. My friends, this is the album Thonk!




This is his fourth album, which shifts from soft jazz to what was described as "New Age Death Metal Fusion", with a bit of bass playing. After listening to tracks, such as "Bad Hair Day" and "Disturbed", I can say that Manring took a risky move, changing genres a bit, just to get listeners to be wowed by his works. For me, it's not my favorite album, but it IS a pretty epic one if you like or love instrumental rock.

I will not explain any more. Just listen to "Disturbed" for yourself.




Here are the reviews from Amazon:

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! March 19, 2004
By "dyldo"
Format:Audio CD
"This album is truly amazing! If you thought the extremes of bass could not be pushed much further than you must hear this album. What makes this release so diffrent from many bass virtuousos is that manring is all about the melody. Manring writes some truly beautiful progressions and no songs include overdubs.This cd also includes guests such as Steve Morse(dixie dregs,deep purple,kansas) and Tim Alexander(primus)."


5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable November 30, 2004
Format:Audio CD
"This CD changed my perspective on the bass guitar and music in general. I bought this CD in January 1995 when I was 17 years old and it is still my favorite CD to this day. Michael Manring is a genius, and a very nice guy...I got to finally meet him when he came to Asheville NC in the Summer of 2004 and he signed my copy of Thonk!! :) Anyway, if you are a bass guitarist, it should be mandatory that you own this CD!"

Track Listings:

1. Big Fungus
2. Snakes Got Legs
3. Monkey Businessman
4. Disturbed
5. On A Day Of Many Angels
6. My Three Moons
7. Cruel And Unusual
8. Bad Hair Day
9. Adhan
10. You Offered Only Parabolas
11. The Enormous Room

Link to order the album:

http://www.amazon.com/Thonk-Michael-Manring/dp/B000008I3B

New post will be on 10/30/2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live at Montreux (1984)

George Winston - December 1982 (Christmas 2014 Post)